Saturday, August 28, 2010

Phodnichi Poli

Phodnichi Poli is a popular Maharashtriyan breakfast........ I heard about it first from my dear friend Amita Gadre.... I had forgotten about it till one day I realized that I have 8 left over rotis, that was when I first decided to try this preparation... it turned out so well that it has become one of my comfort foods..... nothing better than a plate of hot steaming phodnichi poli with adrakh ki chai when I come back from office.....

A little explanation of the name..... Rotis are called Poli in Maharashtra and seasoning is popularly called 'phodan' in hindi....... so Iam guessing that phodnichi poli would mean seasoned rotis...... Amita, need help :)

Crumble the rotis in a plate and mix salt and a little red chilli powder... In a pan heat a little refined oil, add musturd seeds, curry leaves and slit chillies, fry them till done and add the rotis...... mix the rotis with the seasoning and saute till rotis become soft and you feel they have absorbed the flavours of the seasoning...

I like my phodnichi poli simple... with minimal seasoning..... one can add peanuts, a littlt chane ki daal and urad ki daal into the seasoning...... a little white til would also enhance the flavour....

I feel that the secret to good cooking is to keep the preparation simple and uncomplicated..... so that the flavours of the base ingredient emerge through the masalas and the seasoning....

People... try this when you have left over rotis..... I bet you will get addicted .... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment